Friday 7 October 2011

No more nippy ears!

My interest in crochet first began 2 years ago upon the launch of a new magazine called The Art of Crochet.  It was one of those which you collect each month, along with the ring binders and eventually you end up with an empty purse and a veritable encyclopaedia!  That's the theory - but in reality I bought the first issue, which armed me with a small ball of yarn, my very first crochet hook, and a keen determination to master this new skill.

I soon gave up on the magazine in favour of the far more user friendly You Tube video.  Mikeyssmail videos, to be exact.  That's not to say I don't use the odd written pattern, and when a Facebook friend sent me a huge pile of The Art of Crochet magazines I was, to say the least, very thankful!

One of the first projects I've tried from the pile is this cable stitch headband.

Making slow progress
 Let me tell you, it took me a long while to get the hang of the cable stitching, but after a few days and plenty of unpicking, the odd foot stamp,  it finally clicked, and I ended up with a very satisfactory head band.

The Elastic


Extreme Close Up

Having very fine, wispy hair, I look ridiculous if I try to wear it like the woman in the picture, so I tired it with my hair tied back, and I "think" it looks OK.....at the very least it will keep my ears very toasty when I go jogging in the winter!  Nothing worse than throbbing, frozen ears on a frosty run.



No comments:

Post a Comment