Wednesday 21 September 2011

Look! A new crochet book!

One of the best things about having a crafting hobby is that your family and friends are never stuck for present ideas for you.  The absolute BEST thing about my hobby is that my friends often come across crochet related items, and because they are such lovely friends (see how grateful I am, K and T?), they buy these items for you, just because they know how much you'll love them.

One such item is this absolutely gorgeous book - Easy Crocheted Accessories by Carol Meldrum

I've read it from cover to cover, and flicked through it repeatedly, and like a hungry man leafing through an illustrated cook book, I never tire of looking at it...and salivating.

Of course, it hasn't taken me long to start working through my favourite patterns - the first one being this ruffle throw.

It's unusual for me because it is just one colour - and a pale, relatively bland one at that.  I don't know why, but it really appeals to me, and I can picture it now on the back of  my (yet to be purchased) chocolate brown leather sofa.  I'm about 1/3 of the way through so far, so give me another couple of weeks and hopefully I'll be able to show off the finished product.

The other item I'm attempting (not with much success, I have to say) is this unusual open-mesh shrug.

The friend who bought me this book let me know just how much she LOVES this shrug, so I'm trying to make it for her......she may have to wait a while though as I'm struggling badly.  The problem I have is that it's crocheted in two tubes - I've managed to do one, but am having difficulty replicating it.  It is the joining of the first chain without twisting that is causing me a headache, and I've had to shelve the project for a while, but I will finish it - even if it means adapting the pattern, she will see her shrug!

In the meantime, here is one of the "tubes" that I managed to finish, made with a gorgeous mohair/polyester/acrylic mix yarn.



Another project I have my eye on is the felted (oh yes, felted no less) scarf.  I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze this one in between now and Christmas.....




No comments:

Post a Comment